Previous Commands

PREVIOUS COMMANDS:

  • AFSOUTH was one of the two Regional Commands of NATO's Allied Command Europe (ACE). The last Commander-in-Chief of AFSOUTH (CINCSOUTH) was US Navy Admiral Gregory G. Johnson. The following links will bring you to the pages of the subordinate activities as they were upon deactivation of AFSOUTH, on 15 March 2004.
  • NAVSOUTH (Allied Naval Forces Southern Europe) was one of the two Component Commands in Allied Command Europe's Southern Region. The NAVSOUTH Commander, also was known as COMNAVSOUTH, is responsible for sea control, protection of the sea lines of communication, and naval control of shipping in the Mediterranean and the Black Seas.
    NAVSOUTH was established as a separate headquarterson June 5, 1967, upon dissolution of Headquarters Allied Forces Mediterranean, a major NATO Subordinate Command previously responsible for maritime operations in the Mediterranean and Black Seas. It was situated on the Island of Nisida, Naples, Italy. COMNAVSOUTH was an Italian three-star admiral with an international staff provided mainly by Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
  • AIRSOUTH Allied Air Forces Southern Europe was one of two Component Commands in Allied Command Europe's Southern Region. The Commander of AIRSOUTH (COMAIRSOUTH) was a U.S. Air Force Lieutenant General. The headquarters, located in Naples, is comprised of a multinational staff, with personnel assigned from 14 NATO nations. AIRSOUTH had 5 Combined Air Operations Centers (CAOC's) in interim status as they are currently being established. They were ICAOC-5, at Poggio-Renatico, Italy; ICOC-6, at Eskisehir, Turkey; ICAOC-7, at Larrissa, Greece; ICAOC-8, at Madrid, Spain; and ICAOC-10 at Lisbon, Portugal.
  • AIRSOUTH was established in August 1951. COMAIRSOUTH's area of responsibility (AOR) encompasses the entire AFSOUTH AOR. On a day to day basis, COMAIRSOUTH was charged with the air defense in the Southern Region, made him the only Southern Region command with NATO air forces under his command in peacetime. Additionally, COMAIRSOUTH conducted the necessary planning, co-ordination, and operations to ensure full preparedness for the wartime mission. Should deterrence fail, AIRSOUTH was responsible for the control of all air forces assigned to the region for its collective defence. Operational readiness was maintained by planning and conducting exercises to ensure forces and facilities assigned to NATO in peace or war are organized, equipped, supported, and trained to implement Alliance war plans.
  • Joint Command SouthEast In a ceremony held at General Vecihi Akin Garrison, Sirinyer, Izmir, on Wednesday, 11 August 2004, Headquarters Joint Command SOUTHEAST (JCSE) was deactivated and Component Command Air Headquarters-Izmir (CC Air HQ-Izmir) was activated.
    Headquarters Joint Command SOUTHEAST (JCSE) was initially established as an Allied Land Headquarters on 8 September 1952. It was reorganized in 1999 as one of the four joint sub-regional commands under the Commander-in-Chief, Allied Forces Southern Europe (CINCSOUTH) in NATO's military command structure.JOINT COMMAND SOUTHEAST is one of four Joint Sub Regional Commands (JSRCs) under the Commander in Chief, Allied Forces Southern Europe (CINCSOUTH) in the military organization of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). The commander of JHQ SOUTHEAST is responsible for the planning, conduct and coordination of NATO military exercises and operations as directed by CINCSOUTH. The COMJCSOUTHEAST is a four star Turkish Army General.
  • Joint Command South After 53 years in the city of Verona, Joint Command South (JCS) closed its doors on 15 June.
    Beginning 10 July 1951, Headquarters (HQ) Allied Land Forces Southern Europe (LANDSOUTH) was responsible for the defence of the Italian North-Eastern sector, in cooperation with other NATO nations. During the intervening 40 years, the HQ produced plans and studies to counter a potential invasion by the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact.
  • Joint Command SouthCent was deactivated on 16 September 2004. It had been activated on 30 September 1999 as part of the revised NATO military integrated structure.